FOH - get some now
Taking notes 1, 2, 3, 4
Science for GIS Users basic knowledge all GIS users should have..
Bullshit. Learn to recognize it.
Rough lecture outlines
- Week 1 (classes 19/21 Sept) No classes first day
- Week 2 (26/28 Sept) (Add/Drop period ends on 26 Sept).
- Week 3 (3/5 Oct).
- Week 4 (10/12 Oct): Book report due on Friday, 13 October . EXTRA CREDIT OPP!
- Week 5 (17/19 Oct) ). 19 October. Last day to withdraw, 50% refund. Midterm 19 October!
- Week 6 (24/26 Oct)
- Week 7 31 Oct/2 Nov) (3 Nov- uncontested withdraw deadline).
- Week 8 (7/9 Nov).
- Week 9 (14/16 Nov)
- Week 10 21/23 Nov) (no class on 23 Nov - Thanksgiving!)
- Week 11(28/30 Nov)
- Week 12 (Final Exam, 10-12AM Friday, 8 December)
Required readings Due every Friday, starting on Week 2.
Book report - How to Lie wth Maps. Due 13 October
Labs: (note - Unless otherwise stated, all labs are due 4 week days from the day handed out. Tuesday labs are due the next monday by 5:00; Thursday labs are due the next Wednesday by 5:00. Hand in at the mailboxy thing outside my office door). Be sure all labs/readings are stapled together (but not labs to readings, or multiple labs together, etc). And make sure your name is legible. Seriously, never annoy the person who is about to grade your work right before they do so.
- Lab 1: Topo maps 1 (3 pts)
- Lab 2: Topo maps 2 (3 pts).
- Lab 3: Topo maps 3 (3 points)
- Lab 4: Intro to Google Earth. Avian Flu file HERE. Make sure your answers are typed and clearly distinct from the lab (different font, bold, color, yada, yada). Make it easy on your poor, old, blind professor - but not annoying. 3 points.
- Lab 5: More bearing/distance stuff within GE. And isolines. 3 points.
- lab 6: Gregory's Journal. 4 points.
- Sample map questions and answers. Stuff to help you study.
- Lab 7: A very basic intro to ArcGIS. 2 points. Note, jump all over this, as you need to have it done before you can do lab 8. This is one lab to get done very early.
- Lab 8. Tissot's indicatrix - a review of projections. From Sterling. (3 points)
- Lab 9: Campus map (3 points).
- Lab 10: Labeling
- Lab 11: classification. 5 points.
- Lab 12: Classification 2. 4 points.
- Lab 13: Map critique
- Lab 14: Graduated circles and multivariate mapping.
- Lab 15: Metadata and online mapping. Due by noon on monday of finals week. 4 points.
Tutorial Datasets will be located on the GIS Lab Server - Download them
as needed to your flash drive. NEVER work on them from the server.
Some cool links: