FOH - get some now
Taking notes 1, 2, 3, 4
Science for GIS Users basic knowledge all GIS users should have..
Bullshit. Learn to recognize it.
Rough lecture outlines
- Week 1 (classes start Wednesday, 4 January)
- Week 2 (9/11 January) (Add/Drop period ends on 10 January).
- Week 3 (16/18 January). No class on 16 Jan, MLK day.
- Week 4 (23/25 January): Book report due on Friday, 27 January.
- Week 5 (30/1 February) ). 2 Feb: last day to withdraw, 50% refund.
- Week 6 (6/8 February) (Midterm on 8 February - Wednesday - note, this is a change).
- Week 7 (13/15 February) (17 Feb - uncontested withdraw deadline).
- Week 8 (20/22 February). No class on 20 February (Presidents Day)
- Week 9 (27/1 March) Oh cool. check it out
- Week 10 (6/8 March)
- Week 11 (Final Exam, Thursday, 16 March, 8-10AM)
Required readings Due every Friday, starting on Week 2.
Book report - How to Lie wth Maps. Due 27 January
Labs: (note - Unless otherwise stated, all labs are due 4 week days from the day handed out. Monday labs are due Friday by 5:00; Wednesday labs are due Tuesday by 5:00. Hand in at the mailboxy thing outside my office door). Be sure all labs/readings are stapled together (but not labs to readings, or multiple labs together, etc). And make sure your name is legible. Seriously, never annoy the person who is about to grade your work right before they do so.
- Lab 1: Topo maps 1 (3 pts) (handed out wed, 4 January)
- Lab 2: Topo maps 2 (3 pts). (handed out mon, 9 January
- Lab 3: Topo maps 3 (3 points) (handed out wed, 11 January
- Lab 4: Intro to Google Earth. Avian Flu file HERE. Download THIS word document and put all the answers on it. Only use this answer sheet if you want any credit. 3 points. (handed out wed, 18, January)
- Lab 5: More bearing/distance stuff within GE. And isolines. 3 points (handed out mon, 23 January
- lab 6: Gregory's Journal. 4 points. (handed out wed, 25 January)
- lab 7: Sterlings intro to ArcGIS online lab. 3 points.
- Sample map questions and answers. Stuff to help you study.
- Lab 8: A very basic intro to ArcGIS. 2 points. Note, jump all over this, as you need to have it done before you can do lab 9. This is one lab to get done very early.
- Lab 9. Tissot's indicatrix - a review of projections. From Sterling. (3 points)
- Lab 9: Campus map (3 points).
- Lab 10: Labeling
- Lab 11: classification. 5 points. Due 3 march.
- Lab 11b: Classification 2. 4 points. Due monday, 6 march
- Lab 13: Map critique
- Lab 14: Graduated circles and multivariate mapping.
Tutorial Datasets will be located on the GIS Lab Server - Download them
as needed to your flash drive. NEVER work on them from the server.
Some cool links: