FOH - get some now
Taking notes 1, 2, 3, 4
Science for GIS Users basic knowledge all GIS users should have..
Rough lecture outlines
- Week 1 (classes 1/3 January) No classes first day
- Week 2 (8/10 Jan) (Add/Drop period ends on 26 Sept).
- Week 3 (15/17 Jan). (no class on the 15th)
- Week 4 (22/24 Jan): Book report due on Friday, 26 January.
- Week 5 (29/31 Jan) ). 1 February: last day to withdraw, 50% refund. Midterm 31 January!
- Week 6 (5/7 Feb)
- Week 7 (12/14 Feb) 16 Feb- uncontested withdraw deadline).
- Week 8 (19/21 Feb). (no class on the 19th)
- Week 9 (26/28 Feb)
- Week 10 (5/7 March) Extra credit opportunity. Attend and in the news writeup for Australian mudflats talk on the 6th at 7PM at Cornerstone Pie.
- Week 11(Final Exam, 8-10 Thursday, 15 March)
Required readings Due every Friday, starting on Week 2.
Book report - How to Lie wth Maps. Due Friday, 26 January
Labs: (note - Unless otherwise stated, all labs are due 4 week days from the day handed out. Monday labs are due Friday by 5:00; Wednesday labs are due the next Tuesday by 5:00. Hand in at the mailboxy thing outside my office door). Be sure all labs/readings are stapled together (but not labs to readings, or multiple labs together, etc). And make sure your name is legible. Seriously, never annoy the person who is about to grade your work right before they do so.
- Lab 1: Topo maps 1 (3 pts)
- Lab 2: Topo maps 2 (3 pts).
- Lab 3: Topo maps 3 (3 points)
- Lab 4: Intro to Google Earth. Avian Flu file HERE. Make sure your answers are typed and clearly distinct from the lab (different font, bold, color, yada, yada). Make it easy on your poor, old, blind professor - but not annoying. 3 points.
- Lab 5: More bearing/distance stuff within GE. And isolines. 3 points.
- lab 6: Gregory's Journal. 4 points.
- Sample map questions and answers. Stuff to help you study.
- Lab 7: A very basic intro to ArcGIS. 2 points. Note, jump all over this, as you need to have it done before you can do lab 8. This is one lab to get done very early.
- Lab 8. Tissot's indicatrix - a review of projections. From Sterling. (3 points)
- Lab 9: Campus map (3 points).
- Lab 10: Labeling
- Lab 11: classification. 5 points.
- Lab 11b: Classification 2. 4 points.
- Lab 12: Graduated circles and multivariate mapping
- Lab 13: Map critique
- Lab 14: Metadata and online mapping. Due by noon on monday of finals week. 4 points.
Tutorial Datasets will be located on the GIS Lab Server - Download them
as needed to your flash drive. NEVER work on them from the server.
Some cool links: