Rough course outlines. Note, these may well change as we go through!
- Week 1:
- Week 2:
- 26 September.
- Intro to the course. Lecture re jobs
- Week 3:
- 3 October.
- Quiz re chapters one and two. Open book, but short time.
- Discussion, chapter/readings 1 and 2.
- Intro to Geog lecture
- Week 4:
- 10 October
- self assessment due at start of class. As is the weekly article writeup
- Quiz re chapter three. Discussion, chapter 3.
- In class exercise 1 (2 points)
- Week 5:
- 17 October
- Quiz re chapter four. Discussion, chapter 4.
- In class exercise 2. (2 points)
- Assignment: Elevator Pitches.
- Start on Google and watch a few short vids, read a few websites
- Decide what job you're looking for
- Make yourself an elevator pitch. We will go through what you come up with next week.
- Assume you are talking to a potential employer and they ask something like "tell me about you."
- Week 6:
- 24 October
- Quiz re chapter five. Discussion, chapter 5.
- go over elevator pitches! Worth 3 points (this is in-class exercise 3). Some career advice from the Phi Kappa Phi Forum
- Week 7
- 31 October
- Quiz re chapter six. Discussion, chapter 6.
- In class exercise 4 (2 points)
- first draft resume due in class.
- Week 8:
- 7 November. Field trip! Paper also due this day. Meet behind Dean Hall (by the greenhouse) at 1:00.
- Week 9: 14 November
- Quiz re chapter seven. Discussion, chapter 7
- Went over first draft of resume and grades for everyone individually. Including results from project and field trip.
- hand in job ad, draft cover letter
- Week 10:
- Quiz re chapter eight. Discussion, chapter 8
- Quiz re chapter nine. Discussion, chapter 9
- hand in second draft of resume
- Hand out take-home final.
- Schedule exit interviews for the next week. 1/2 hour for each.
- Week 11:
- 28 November.
- Exit interviews. Have job ad, cover letter, elevator pitch, and resume all good to go. These will be individually scheduled outside class time.
- Quiz re chapter ten. Discussion, chapter 10. In class time will be short this week.
- Week 12: Final Exam due by 5PM on tuesday, 5 December.
Return to Dr. Hickey's Home Page.